View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013, 09:24 AM   #6
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I couldn't give damn what's on the cover of a book, personally. I don't buy books based on their cover, and, beyond perhaps looking at the cover once when I first open a book, I never look at it again.
What do you base it on?

Lets say for example you have a book everyone is recommending to you, but there are two naked guys kissing or holding each other. And lets say for argument's sake that you dont read homo-erotic books.
Would you at least in some degree have some apprehension about it? Even if all your friend are saying you should read it?

My point is nobody buys books solely on the base of the cover. (Usually)
But to minimize the effect covers have on people is not convincing, from selling, marketing or psychological point.

I read in Everything's Eventual: 14 Dark Tales by Stephen King that publishers like to publish horror books in purple color book covers, because for some reason most people find that color "scarier" than for example green, which most find relaxing. Should we trust King on this? I don't know, he sold lots of scary books.

What about the times when you enter in a bookshop with no particular idea what to buy, and come across a book with nice/interesting cover and you go, what the hell, I'm gonna give it a go. You haven't heard about an author or book, so cover is all that is telling you a story about the story inside the book. Happened to me more the once. I discovered some real rare gems like that.

What about children books? Those rely immensely on art, so its pretty damn important its on decent standard.

Anyway that's just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Geralt; 01-26-2013 at 09:28 AM.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote