View Single Post
Old 04-25-2006, 12:50 AM   #27
Gameboy70
Connoisseur
Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, 3rd Gen iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by drachasor
I certainly think this is the case, though wifi will be much more useful if the Iliad allows more generic connections to a wireless network beyond just having it to be "pushed" things you have subscribed too. It is (hypothetically) possible a third-party could design a "reader" that allows this if the iliad doesn't provide such a feature natively.
I've been skeptical of WiFi on E Ink readers from the start, since their low refresh rate would tend to prohibit real-time web surfing. I was curious to see how iRex would resolve the issue, and suspected that wireless implementation on the iLiad would resemble something like Palm old PQA content model for the Palm VII. Asynchronous refreshing wipes out most the advantages of local wireless connectivity, so WiFi on the device does little more than drive up its cost. Whatever else Sony might be doing wrong on their Reader, WiFi was one ambitious feature they were shrewd to avoid.
Gameboy70 is offline   Reply With Quote