View Single Post
Old 09-19-2012, 04:05 PM   #15
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
(quoting from John Gruber) iPhone 5 features a 4-inch display designed the right way: it’s bigger, but it’s the same width as iPhone 4S. So everything you’ve always done with one hand — typing on the keyboard, for instance — you can still do with one hand.

Typing on the iPhone 5 does feel exactly the same. And in my experience testing big-screen phones (mostly with the 4.65-inch Galaxy Nexus), it really is far more difficult to do anything on them one-handed, including typing.
I can understand this argument regarding one-handed thumb typing; it is clearly easier on a narrower screen. However, this is one area where software has changed the game.

Although not everyone likes it, for those that do, Swype is amazing and speeds up your text input dramatically. Because of Swype, I never want to type just with my thumb: the speed increase of holding the phone in one hand and swyping with the other is just too big a benefit.

In dire need I can type with my thumb, but I normally don't want to.

Again, of course, if Swype's not your thing, voice input is improving all the time, and further reduces the need for one-handed typing.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote