Thread: Touch Remove Offers/Ads
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2012, 04:39 PM   #7
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddave7 View Post
I couldn't buy the KT without ads because it IS NOT available locally for me to buy. I would have happily bought the ad free version, or paid an upgrade fee, IF THEY WERE AVAILABLE.
I'm sympathetic with your desire to buy locally and understand your dilemma, but I also have to ask if you tried to do a special order through the store.

Ultimately I think that your request is going to go unfulfilled for three reasons:
  • The number of people interested in hacking the Touch is rather small, and the few hackers that are around seem to be interested in other projects.
  • It is probable that the advertising code is buried in a closed source component of the Touch, which means that there is an even more limited number of people with the skill to modify it.
  • People are timid about changing it when Kobo does offer an alternative. Unfortunately the alternative isn't as easy to buy out of as Amazon's, and it does add some inconvenience for people like you.
It's not an immediate solution, but I would suggest watching this project: http://ccoffing.net/tech/proj/ocherbook/ With any luck the author will be able to provide alternative reading software that will improve upon Kobo's offering.