View Single Post
Old 09-19-2011, 12:28 PM   #6
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
I sold my 950 in anticipation of the T1. I generally liked the 950, but I'll give you a few negatives to consider.

The extra inch bugged me more than it ever was useful - it showed too long, too skinny pages (portrait) or too stubby, too fat pages (landscape). The extra inch would be much more useful if the screen was a standard 4:3 (unless you read a lot of PDFs scanned from legal size, 8.5" X 14" originals).

It isn't so much the 950's actual weight, but that there is no good place to hold the 950 to evenly distribute the weight which makes it unwieldy. One-handed operation requires holding it at the bottom edge, so it feels top heavy and my fingers and wrists had to constantly adjust and lock to keep the thing upright for reading.

The 3G only works to access Sonys slower than molasses store, and only in the US. WiFi was almost as disappointing. The PRS-950 can't download files through its browser, so you'll need to install PRS+ if you want to wirelessly transfer your own files. (PRS+ has many other wonderful features, too).

The software for the T1 seems to be quite different from the x50 line. Of course, all I've seen of the T1 is on YouTube, but from what I saw of the home screen, menus, and two point multi-touch, it appears that the software has been completely re-written.

There's nothing wrong with liking whatever you like, so if the 950 does it for you, then I hope you find a gently used one at a reasonable price.
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote