View Single Post
Old 06-16-2011, 05:33 AM   #1
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
Handling a huge number of files on the SD Card

Some problems are reported when having a huge number of files on the SDcard. Indexing (for one) takes ages. There are people that have up to 150 000 documents on their 32GB SDCard. This problem was discussed in a 'normal' iRex forum message-thread, but I think it should be continued here in the developer's corner.

I am currently thinking of using a global.db per directory and (re-)indexing it as soon as you (want to) show the directory (only local files/directories, no sub-directories). The advantage is that not that much code needs to be changed, only an extra step to update/generate a global.db would be needed.
I am not sure how this behaves when a folder contains thousands of documents, but I think that only some experiments would show that. I do not want to start with indexing in the background right now, because it will surely make everything more complex.

Some of the disadvantages would be that only the SD Card view would work properly and also that search would not work.

See also this message for some comments.

Any comments?
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote