View Single Post
Old 03-24-2010, 02:42 AM   #38
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I am wondering how everybody backs up their stuff. I have some of my books on the Kindle and some not, but I am still concerned about backing them up because a) not all of them are from the same source so if I ever had to re-create my whole collection from scratch, it would take ages and b) some of them have had work done on them such as conversions that would take ages to re-do. So, what I had been doing was backing up everything using Time Machine onto a backup drive. But then I started thinking I needed a second back-up not at home. I thought about sending them all 'into the cloud' as attachments in my email and storing them there, but again, tat would take forever as each book would need to be emailed individually. So what I did was bu an 8 gb USB thumb drive (my collection is not even 1 gb even though it it over 800 books) and backed up the whole Calibre library folder onto that and I have attached it to my keychain so it is with me when I leave the house.

As far as original files go, if the book was eReader and I converted it to HTML, I am keeping the HTML in Calibre but I am not keeping the original eReader anywhere. If it is a mobi or a Fictionwise multiformat, I am keeping the mobi original in Calibre since I am using mobi right now and since I can easily convert them in Calibre later to something else. And if it was originally an epub, I am keeping the epub backed up in a separate folder since they gum up Calibre if I leave them in there. People told me epub loses a little in conversion to mobi and if I want to convert them to something else later, to keep the epub just in case so that's why. I have not yet backed up this 'mobi originals' folder onto something else though---I am just backing up my Calibre library for now since I may want to put some other backups on the thumb drive and don't want to run out of room.

So does this sound like enough backing up? If not, what do you recommend?
Me, I toss 'em the keys to the truck, tell them to be careful, don't drink, try not to run over anyone and go have fun. They usually do just fine backing up.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote