View Single Post
Old 04-24-2009, 05:24 PM   #384
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by markm View Post
An e-book reader costs $400 + maybe $40/year in electricity to keep it charged.
Are you serious? $40 is nearly my entire non-AC season electricity bill for a month, and while I try to be intelligent about energy use, I am no miser. There is at least one laptop running nearly 24/7, two DVRs, a 42" TV, various other electronics, and normal household appliances like a full-size refrigerator.

There is no way on earth that the Kindle, which needs charging for maybe 2 hours once a week (to be generous) uses nearly the same amount of electricity in a year that my entire house uses in the entire month of, say, February.

I would estimate more like $2-$3 a year.