View Single Post
Old 03-10-2013, 06:20 PM   #20
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
I'll give Book Baby 3 1/2 stars (out of 5)

My two cents (in a generic way): I almost went with Book Baby. As someone mentioned Book Baby has phone support, and the phone support was excellent: knowledgeable people, patient, answering a lot of questions (and I wasn't even a client). As I recall though, the package I was interested in was $249.

The notion of all those outlets was exciting. Plus the record keeping. But all those outlets would be for nought if you decieded to go with Amazon's KDP Select.

And I too wasn't thrilled with the idea of paying for corrections at Book Baby.

Smashwords, I know a lot of people love it. I've heard getting a Word doc. through it, esp. if you know no html, is really efficient. But I've also heard that the style of the book is not quite what it should be (once Smashword's meatgrinder gets done with it.) But that's just what I heard. (But from a lot of reliable sources.)

Ultimately I started learning how to format myself. I started with a couple of short stories just to feel out the process. I started with Mobi Pocket Creator and now I've moved on (with the novels I'm doing) to Sigil.

Having the control is so key to me. I have a lot of language that is slangy. "Goin'" instead of "Going," that sort of thing. I would hate for anybody at a Book Baby type place thinking those were spelling errors and correcting them. Esp. since the same character (at different times) will say "goin'" and "going."

The cost was a consideration too. If you're going to write a lot of books, $249 a pop adds up. (I don't know what they charge for short stories.)

Plus I liked the idea of starting small (just in Amazon for now.)

HTH
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote