View Single Post
Old 01-23-2012, 01:18 PM   #12
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I see nothing wrong with "forcing" a reader to see certain fonts for chapter headers and other special text (verse, song, signage, drop-caps) that may occur in a book... not to mention being able to use glyphs or characters that may not exist in standard, included fonts. After, all... what's the point of having the ability to embed (or choose) different fonts if it's considered bad form to do so. There still needs to be a level of artistic freedom in creating an ebook... otherwise, what's the point of having the ability to style the text at all?

I will agree that forcing a reader to endure your particular font of choice for the main, basic text of the book is a bad idea (unless you need access to special characters that would otherwise be rendered as ugly question-marks or weird squares.)
I was referring to the MAIN BODY TEXT. I agree special characters, etc. can be embedded, though I'm no fan of bloating files for artistic flair. I read to absorb knowledge not to see how artsie-fartsie the book designer can be. An eBook is not a photo are painting or a special print edition of a book. All of those definately have reason for artistic design. However, an eBook is more often than not more about reflowing text in a manner which allows the reader (person) to read the text in the most satisfying manner. Therefore I believe the focus should be on the content with as little forced formatting as possible.

Last edited by jswinden; 01-23-2012 at 01:20 PM.