View Single Post
Old 08-19-2009, 12:48 AM   #385
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
There is a belief, which I've never seen confirmed, that with LiIon batteries, they won't fully charge until you've partially discharged and re-charged them two or three times.

Just passing on what I've heard, but I'm not entirely convinced it's true.
First...love the shot of one of my true hero's in life as your avatar. Ali was and is a great example for the rest of us. Once when on a consulting visit to eBay in 2000 someone had recently sold Ali's robe, gloves and I believe shoes as well from the Manila fight (as I recall it could have been different though). but whoever won them I think worked at eBay or loaned them to eBay for a while. So I not only was able to see the gear, I got to put on the gloves. Very cool moment for me.

About the Li-Ion batteries, I have heard the same sort of thing. But in practice what happens is that if there is any "smartness" int he battery and/or device you need to run through a couple charge cycles in order to calibrate the battery management software. So,, it is not that the battery will not fully charge right away, it can often be the case the smartness needs calibration. I am not sure if any of the ebook reading devices actually use a SMART Li-Ion battery. That would also explain why they are cheaper, just like cell phone batteries. One of the reasons laptop batteries are expensive, beyond the proprietary thing, is the smart circuitry built into them and the laptop. And that smart-circuitry is there to help keep the batter from overcharging and exploding.

I might be off a bit on the absolutes here about Li-Ion/Li-Poly batteries as I am not close to an expert in the tech, but having used nothing but laptops for about two decades ya read things. And nope, never stayed at a Holiday Inn Express either...
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote