View Single Post
Old 04-04-2009, 12:26 PM   #25
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Well, to go against the prevailing opinion, personally I think that this is excellent news. So called file "sharers" need to be given a strong signal that their crimes are not "acceptable" and this is a very good way to do it.

Vive la France! Let us hope that other EU countries soon join the French in their enlightened law making.
I'm glad to hear you think it's excellent news. Here's why I don't agree with you. The problem with the law as it has been enacted in France, and as they are considering enacting it in other countries as well, is that a mere allegation, by anyone, results in the immediate disconnection of your access.

All that someone has to do is say that you might be breaking the law. They don't have to prove anything, and *poof* you are disconnected. Can you appeal?? I suppose so, but you are essentially being asked to prove a negative, and meanwhile, you have no internet access ... and for some people, that might also mean no phone access, and no access to their business.

You say you've got a 12 year old in the household that doesn't understand the law and downloaded something he ought not have? Tough. The internet connection is no more.

Someone has a grudge against your family and makes an unsupported allegation? Tough, you try proving you didn't do it. And .... you just do without your internet connection while your online business goes down the tubes and you pay attorney's fees to prove you are innocent.

Innocent people have everything to worry about with this law. If an "allegation" .... and I hope you understand what an allegation is, Harry, which means no hearing, just the allegation, gets you disconnected, then you are basically SOL. No hearing means nothing to appeal. No hearing means you don't even get a chance to protest your innocence.

Allegation=Disconnection. That's the law as it is written. Are you sure you want to be happy that law might become the norm??
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote