View Single Post
Old 11-20-2010, 12:46 PM   #3
Rebo
Groupie
Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook, nook color, kindle 3, Ipad 2nd gen, Nook HD+, Iphone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
I think it looks like a great buy, but only if I get to run what I want on it. I'm going to want some other reader software.
The prospect of bricking a 250 machine and having no recourse is a deal killer.
I've been following the hacking activities for the Nook Color on the xda-developer forum. So far, they do not have much luck yet. The device was cracked open but it was found all the chips were soldered underneath the metal shield. There is no easy access to the chip and they haven't found a way to boot it in recovery mode. This is not saying that they won't crack it eventually but it looks like it is not an easy task.

People should buy the NC for what it is, instead of fostering the hope to hack it into what it is not. Sure, $250 for a full functional high quality tablet will be the steal of the year but it is clear that B&N is subsidizing the HW so they can sell more e-content. B&N is not in the business of losing money so we shouldn't expect them to give their device away only to have the competitor app installed on it. For people who would prefer other reader app or a more open platform, the Galaxy Tablet seems to be the next best bet in the class.
Rebo is offline   Reply With Quote