View Single Post
Old 09-24-2010, 02:50 PM   #52
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
I think that at this moment your Introduction is almost perfect. It is a good balance between simplicity and complete description of features. You should consider writing technical books or manuals or technical documentation. Very few people can present such advanced stuff in a concise way that does not sound too complicated to regular users.
Thank you for that.

Quote:
As for missing features, there is only one thing that might be useful in the new Bulk editing of metadata, in the experimantal Search and Replace.
All groups in parenthesis can be referenced in the replace field by using escape sequences \1 \2 ... They can and also be referenced this way in search field, I just can't think of situation when *that* would be used in Calibre.
... which is why, until now, I've left them out...

Quote:
An example. You have set authors field in Calibre to FirstName LastName and you have all metadata for authors_sort in LastName, FirstName and you want to change it to FirstName LastName

In the new Search and Replace dialog, you select Search field author_sort, you search for "([^,]*), (.*)" and the replace string is \2 \1
Now, the author_sort that was London, Jack becomes Jack London.
... but this makes sense. I'll add it once chaley and kovid are done doing all kinds of crazy amazing stuff with the beta and it moves to the main trunk.

Quote:
There is another little thing you might want to add.
Complicated regexps look intimidating, because the syntax is very condensed. But writing regexps is not that difficult if you construct them step by step.
In other words, writing regexps is much easier than it would seem when you just read them.
This is actually one of the reasons we needed this text, I think