View Single Post
Old 02-15-2008, 07:38 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Prediction: Apple Will Announce a new ebook reader near the end of February

Before you read this I want to say that I withdraw this prediction. I think it will be more of a media device. But decided to show this to everyone because the resulting discussion could be interesting.

I think Apple is going to announce a new ebook reader at the end of this month. Here's why:

TUAW has reported a rumor that Apple is planning an Event before the end of this month. We now from past examples that Apple tends to announce new products at Events; product upgrades are simply released.

We know that Apple isn't going to announce a new ultra-light Macbook; they've already done that. We know that the announcement won't be about larger capacity Iphone and Ipod Touch; that's happened as well. So what do we have left?

EDIT: It could be the Iphone SDK; it is coming soon. It might happen as well, but I don't think the SDK is important enough to warrant an Event by itself. I'm not even sure that Apple will ever release the Iphone SDK.

When I first started writing this I thought it could be a full size MacTablet, but it's not likely. The Axiotron Modbook has finally started shipping. So far I have found 3 people who have one. Yes, That's what I said: 3. Since it does exist, obviously it's not a cover story for Apple.

I highly doubt that Apple would undercut a business partner, so a MacTablet is ruled out. But there is another possibility. Remember how Steve Jobs said "nobody reads anymore"? He has a record of being dismissive of a market right before Apple announces a new product into that market. We might be getting a new ebook reader.

At least, that's what I think.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote