View Single Post
Old 01-20-2009, 09:55 PM   #1
Bierkonig
Bierkonig began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700
Any way to force page breaks when converting HTML to EPUB

I am new to this and thank you in advance for any patient explanations.

Reading the forums, I know that there's a raging debate about whether we need the page anymore with ebooks. Some celebrate that we can liberate text from the page and need maintain only those formatting elements necessary to understand how words and sections and headers related to each other. In essence, the book becomes an electronic scroll. However, a few of us believe that the innovation of the page-based codex, which began replacing the scroll, makes finding information within the text more efficient. Specifically, the codex makes communication about specific content with other readers easier and I've seen several posts by academics here saying they need to reference back to page numbers for when communicating with non-ebook readers. I'm in this second camp.

I'm scanning pages primarily of text (and a few tables and pictures) to Abbyy FineReader and saving its OCR output as HTML. The HTML output looks great on my Sony PRS-700 when I use Calibre to convert it to ePUB. However, it would make me so happy if there was a way to force the reader to paginate according to breaks in the HTML rather than...arbitrarily. I have no idea how the reader manages pagination of the text. I know that its possible to insert a page break in an RTF and the Reader will break the page accordingly for a Calibre conversion to ePub.

Is there any way to use Calibre to tell the Reader to break pages at <hr>, and nowhere else? As it is, the Reader averages turning 10 pages of epub -- each ending with an <hr>, noting an intended page break -- into 11 or 12 pages. If there are other ideas of how to edit my html to make the Reader understand my pagination desires, I'm all ears.

The only alternative I know to maintain pagination is to use pdf reflow, but the results are much less attractive than html/epub.

thanks.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/ima...sadd1/help.gif
Bierkonig is offline   Reply With Quote