View Single Post
Old 03-30-2011, 07:55 AM   #18
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by karunaji View Post
So what can those honest users do when someone buys Kindle 3G and does use for all the browsing Kindle allows but doesn't buy any single book from the Kindle store?

From Amazon's view it is not much different from tethering. In fact from data usage point it could be even worse because it is easy to ban a SIM card that clearly has traffic that normally is not possible on Kindle but not so easy when it is a regular Kindle use.
That's why the Kindle browser is slow, doesn't allow multiple tabs, or Flash. It's hard to use for a reason. I'm sure some people can get used to this, but there's people like me who are used to using the computer of even a smartphone to browse the internet. If people start tethering, they'll start loading Flash videos, use the internet more often, etc. Sure if one person tethers or uses the internet legitimately all the time, Amazon won't notice. But not many people uses their Kindle "for all the browsing", either by tethering or just on the Kindle. If scores of people do this, Amazon definitely can tell the difference. The Kindle is not advertised or designed to be an internet tablet. That's a bonus that many people find useful. If people abuse the privilege, Amazon doesn't have to think twice before removing the feature. I'll take the example of the PS3 again. Sony allowed the PS3 to install Linux, but when a hacker used the Linux to bypass the PS3 memory protection, Sony deleted the Linux feature from the next update.

Last edited by yifanlu; 03-30-2011 at 07:57 AM.