View Single Post
Old 01-23-2009, 04:38 PM   #15
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith View Post
But the point is that the company who I am financially supporting by purchasing their technology has no respect for my beliefs or the beliefs of billions of people worldwide, whether they be Christian, Jewish, Muslim or otherwise. In fact, you are completely unaware of their disdain for your beliefs until you spend $300 to purchase their equipment.

If I had to do it over again, I would just purchase the Amazon Kindle, iRex, or other product that is more tolerant towards people of faith. And I think I will just stick to public domain works rather than giving Sony any additional money at their online ebook store. I don't need to be financially supporting intolerance and disrespect of my beliefs.

Does anyone else feel that it was disrespectful for Sony to do this?
Hello msmith! And welcome to MobileRead! We are glad you've decided to join the forum.

Haven't you been financially supporting your local bookstore? Doesn't the local bookstore sell titles that might be offensive to you? What about your local library? What about other businesses? How can you know for sure all the businesses you support financially share your belief system?

How do you know for sure that the Amazon Kindle, iRex, or other such products are more tolerant towards people of faith? And more tolerant towards what faith?

I consider myself a Christian and I read lots of controversial books about my religion because I am always interested in seeing how others view my faith and because I am always interested in expanding and opening my mind to other thoughts and perspectives. I know I don't possess a full or complete grasp of the truth of such a deep subject, so I am constantly challenging and shaping my thinking about these things....thanks for bringing up this book...it might be a really interesting read.

You'll find folks here that are willing to share their honest thoughts about issues and I hope you are not too put off that, based on the responses to your first thread, not many people here share your opinion about the book or about Sony's motivation in placing it on the reader. Even if we disagree with you sometimes, you will still find a warm and welcoming group of people who are happy to discuss issues with you and to help you work out any problems or issues you may have with your ereading experience.