View Single Post
Old 05-16-2013, 08:34 AM   #44
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
I read the first page and found the tone cold and distant. A turn-off. On the other hand, The Left Hand of Darkness is brilliant. I wonder if she did anything else good?
Yes, I thought the tone of Wizard of Earthsea was not quite what I'd want from a regular fantasy. Although I did like it, I'm not sure I'd recommend it in this thread. It kind of reminded me of Lyonesse by Jack Vance. It's like someone telling you an old legend.

I didn't get much out of Left Hand of Darkness, but I thought The Dispossessed was a real masterpiece. I only read them a few months apart. I'll have to assume it was me that changed. (Both SF, so not really applicable to this thread.)

A few more trilogies:

Trudi Canavan's Black Magician trilogy
Maria V Snyder's Study books (apparently called the Chronicles of Ixia, now) - a bit romance-y, kind of lightweight, and the first one, Poison Study, is the best by miles, but they're all enjoyable and easy to read. The follow-up trilogy is OK, too.
Kate Elliott's Crossroads trilogy - I haven't actually read the last part, yet, so it might all go horribly wrong, but I liked the first two
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote