View Single Post
Old 09-28-2012, 03:00 PM   #1442
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
^That could more be a function of available options for reading and the kinds of books you are reading. I seem to have books that never go on sale. I peruse through my wishlist on Amazon once a week for price changes and I also search InkMesh for authors every now and then. Almost everything I really want to read is in $11US to $15US price range. Consequently, I have purchased two e-books in the past half year and rely on paper from the library for 90% of my reading now. Until I start reading cheaper authors/publishers e-reading will be pretty much exclusively public-domain classics which don't interest me too much.
It's true that choice of reading matter affects the average price. Most of my books are SF or fantasy, with a bit of mystery, crime, classics and romance thrown in.

But it is possible to make use of special offers from publishers, and (now) discounts from retailers like Kobo (and in the past Fictionwise).

The vast majority of my paid-for books (1301) come from Fictionwise. Next is Baen with 716. Other retailers account for only 109, and that's from Amazon, Kobo, Books on Board & Pottermore.

Oh! I forgot Waterstones. That's another four books. And WHSmith, another two.

Wow - my average price from WHSmith, Waterstones and Pottermore is around £5/$8! That's my highest average price from anywhere. Only 13 books, luckily.

My best average prices are from Kobo and BooksonBoard. Both just a little over $2/book. That's probably because I only buy from those stores when there's a really good discount coupon or offer.

My average from Fictionwise is $2.47, and from Baen it's $3.50. From Amazon it's a little over $3.50.

Note that these are averages. I do spend more on individual books from time to time. Though the number of times I've paid more than £6.50/$10.00 is probably in single figures.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote