View Single Post
Old 07-14-2012, 09:40 PM   #26
plib
Guru
plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
The thing that some of us have to try to understand is that some customers see this marketing drive as an improved experience. They want recommendations. They want social networking. They want reading life.

Now I don't understand why because I'm not one of those people. Yet it would be arrogant of me to assume that Kobo's rise or fall depends upon my personal opinion on such matters.
I'm sure you're right. It's just such an alien mindset to me that I do have trouble understanding it. I want my ereader to be like picking up a book, with a few enhancements such as search, multi-volume portability, non-destructive annotations and bookmarks, variable fonts etc. That's why I spent money on it. I don't want marketing in my face, I don't want social networking and I have no interest in Grade 6 level reading life stats and comments. I realize that's just my opinion and taste, but I don't think it's arrogant to express it, my opinion is as valid as someone who actually wants all of the above. I have no problem if someone else wants all that on their home page, just let me obliterate it from mine. I don't think Kobo's rise or fall depends on my opinion, but I do note that a preponderance of opinion on here doesn't seem to be in favour of the marketing tsunami. And it would certainly feature in my description should anyone ask me what I think of the Kobo, although I should say that overall I would probably recommend it.

What I do think is arrogant is the way they are represented in areas such as their blog. If they said "We've added three tabs to make it easier for you to get our recommendations and buy from us" I still wouldn't want it but I could live with the explanation, at least it's honest. Telling me they're "improving my reading experience" when it isn't and wrapping it in "Golly gee, look what we've done for you" when it's more honest to say "Golly gee, look how we're trying to persuade you to buy from us" just gets my goat. I dislike smarmy marketing that thinks it's fooling people and I particularly resent 1984 newspeak that twists the reality of what's being done. To coin a phrase it's "thoughtcrime"

In general I don't get irate about things I don't care about. The opposite of love isn't hate, it's indifference. What annoys me here is that I had high hopes of the Kobo, I still do, and it does frustrate me when I feel that someone is messing it up. Particularly when I feel a marketroid is involved.

Anyway, they'll do what they do, and I'll react accordingly.
plib is offline   Reply With Quote