View Single Post
Old 12-25-2006, 07:22 PM   #96
unkilbeeg
Enthusiast
unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!

Device: Sony PRS-500/Astak EZReader 5"/PocketBook 360/Kindle
I've been looking over this thread, and after a couple of weeks living with the Sony Reader I have these criteria (that I don't think I saw mentioned):

1) Specific external software must not be necessary for loading books onto the reader. It needs to be mountable via USB as a drive and files simply copied across. This doesn't mean that dedicated software is forbidden -- some people like those kinds of applications, but it should not be necessary.

2) Any library organization (categories, bookshelves, whatever) should be implemented using the filesystem -- I should be able to separate my groups of books by copying files into specific directories. Again, no specific software should be necessary on my host PC.

I'm not sure if I'm a good candidate for this reader right now -- the Sony is a big investment for me, and it'll be some time before I can justify a similar expense for another similar device. The Bookeen sounds like it has potential to be superior to the Sony, so it would be tempting, but not (for now) compelling.

I don't particularly care about DRM support. I own no DRMed books (other than what came on the Sony, scheduled for deletion soon), nor will I ever. If the support is there, that's fine, but I wouldn't pay an extra nickel to obtain it. A lot of the other extra cost items that have been mentioned would also be non-useful to me -- lighting, touchscreens, search, etc. Again, I wouldn't mind them existing if others want them, but if they ended up raising the price above my threshold, I'd count them as a negative.