View Single Post
Old 02-25-2010, 05:18 PM   #25
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
The 'Intellectual Property Enforcement Coordinator' doesn't want to hear from us (consumers), just publishers who would send her a bunch of disgracefully inflated numbers which come from calculations with a lot of assumptions involved.

They would make calculations like 'it was downloaded via the pirate bay 100'000 times so that is $900'000 million in lost income'. When in reality a lot of people download in a haphazard fashion, collecting things simply because they are free and with some vague notion that they might read it at some date 'in the future'. Those people would have never paid for the book in question and many would have no interest in it if there was a price tag attached. They only collect the item because they like the idea of having that book in their virtual (unread) library. Gathering the numbers for those kinds of users is difficult because the % probably varies between books. When there is genuine piracy of e-books by people who actually read the book, I am willing to bet many (if not most) of those people do so to avoid DRM in the paid product or because it is simply ot available in the format they desire.

Content holders love gathering huge inflated numbers from the Internet and showing those numbers to the government, so they can push for harsher penalties. This will be more of that.

Perhaps so, Fugalized. But remember,"all it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing". Canada thought that it the public didn't care about copyright issues when they had their "town hall" meetings earlier this year. Boy were they suprised! This may be useless, but.....

(Movie - Rio Lobo

Jack Elam shoots a shotgun out the window in a long range gunfight.

(John Wayne) - "Splatterguns useless!"
(Jack Elam) - Don't mind me shootin' it. It makes me feel better...)

Poppin' out a letter to a bureaucrat makes me feel better....

Last edited by Greg Anos; 02-25-2010 at 05:22 PM.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote