View Single Post
Old 01-05-2009, 12:16 AM   #9
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
You can move books off a Kindle quite easily with a USB cable just as if it were a removable drive. You can also download them to your computer from Amazon.

A few points that may or may not matter to you:

Cybook allows you to load your own fonts and has dictionary lookup. You can have multiple dictionaries, which IMO is a really cool feature.

Kindle has dictionary lookup (one dictionary) and content search. It searches everything on your Kindle. I would prefer to be able to pick between searching a given book, specifying multiple books, or searching the whole Kindle. Surprisingly most of the current crop of e-ink readers do not have any search. This was a big deal to me.

One point about content: Amazon's prices are usually lower. Sometimes a little, sometimes a lot. This difference is most noticeable in new releases. If you don't read a lot of new releases the cost difference may not be enough to alter your buying decision.

A couple weaknesses I do find with the Kindle: PDF conversion isn't that great. The keyboard is fine for entering search terms and making short notes. I wouldn't want to do extensive note-taking with it.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote