View Single Post
Old 09-12-2012, 07:29 AM   #10
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post
I'm waiting to see if the iPad mini is attractively priced to compete with other 7" tablets.
That is indeed the key question for me.
I'm thinking of getting a "hardcover-class" color reader to supplement my "paperback-class" portable eink readers.

With Amazon pricing FireHD7 at $199 and $FireHD9 at $299, the "obvious" competitive move for Apple would be to price their 8" iPad at $249.
But Apple is above doing the obvious or responding to the rabble that thinks can compete with them.

More seriously, they like to price their entry-level products relatively high in order to nudge consumers to stretch their budget and go for the mid-range version once they start thinking Apple. It's good marketing strategy. But that strategy says $349 for the mini.

Which makes the pricing of the mini (if it really exists) a good indicator of how seriously Apple takes Amazon in the tablet space. (How *they* review it internally.)

That is:
$349 - Amazon? What Amazon?
$299 - Our quality speaks for itself.
$249 - Hey, Amazon! Bring it on!
$199 - Amazon, Google, Toys-R-Us, you're all dead. You hear me? DEAD! Bwa-hah-hah!

Ahem, I'm waiting for the FireHD hands-on reviews before making a decision, anyway.
I think the 9in 10x6 form factor will fit *my* needs a bit better than the 7inchers.
To be honest, the 7incher looks a tad generic, much like the Nexus.

Last edited by fjtorres; 09-12-2012 at 07:35 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote