View Single Post
Old 11-17-2006, 08:49 PM   #1
randyman
Enthusiast
randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Now, iPad!
Mac user bites the bullet

I've been having a great time with my Reader, and it's been no problem transferring files via Memory Stick and the Mac... but even though people are clearly unsatisfied with the Connect store, that $50 certificate has been calling to me. And it gets worse; last week I bought the new Steven King novel in the ever-popular dead tree format, and it just felt wrong. (For the record, it was still a great read.)

So tonight I made the leap, visited eBay, and picked up a cheap used Dell laptop for one purpose, and one purpose alone: to get access to the heretofore inaccessible Connect store. DRM and all, I just can't resist the thought of being able to add current publications to my collection of Gutenberg classics and web clippings. (Fictionwise and manybooks.net are fantastic, but you catch my drift.)

It's got XP Pro, a P4@2Ghz and 3/4 of a gig ram, so I'm guessing it will be spunky enough to run the Connect software. This is *not* meant to be flamebait; I'm a big one for using whatever tool makes you happy. It's just that I've used Apples since 1979 (and will continue to be a Mac partisan!) but it's a sign of how cool the Reader is that I'm committed enough to get the necessary screwdriver to do the job.

If any of you experienced Windows mavens have any advice for the newbie, I'm all ears! Thanks -
randyman is offline   Reply With Quote