Thread: final decision
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2014, 05:36 PM   #32
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Just my 2 cents: Paperwhite 2 definitely is a great unit. But in my opinion, it mainly makes sense if you're into the Amazon ecosystem (personally, I love buying from them via 3G wherever I am, not bothering about WiFi or roaming costs).
But if it's about the sole reader, you might be better off to buy one of the ePUB/sideloading optimized ones. You still can buy from Amazon, strip from DRM, convert to ePUB and use on those readers. Kobo for example could be a nice choice then.
It also has a cleaner interface, more stable firmware, and good dictionary support.

I always viewed it as more a
simple, clean, stable UI = Kindle
vs.
customizing fonts/margins/stuff and carry-tens-of-GBs-of-books-around () = Kobo

If you don't use the extra options Kobo gives you, then it isn't an advantage. And I like the homepage=library view style of the Kindle.

(Random)
And for advanced users, X-Ray is reverse-engineered and pluginized where Beyond the Book is not.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote