View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 12:35 AM   #45
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
Wow... Apparently you heard negatives in places where none were intended. Before posting my previous message I cut out a lot of material, perhaps losing meaning in the process.

I've seriously edited down your quoted responses while trying to maintain a semblance of context. I'm sure they're not perfect, but hope they convey the conversational thread fairly accurately. There is no intent to take things out of context.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddos View Post
Let's say you have a reasonably-sized library of 500 books. [...] Maybe that sounds fine to you, but that definitely does not work well for me.
It's not fine. It's the closest approximation of what we do in the real world. We look through covers. We limit the books displayed as best we can and go from there. It's not a perfect method - but it is as realistic as any other form of book search - and this idea is the closest calibre equivalent.

Quote:
People have tried. Multiple times. [...] but the people who want ... never come through with anything. Kovid and crew aren't opposed to making the GUI better
I'm not arguing that point, I'm agreeing with you. I said no one, GUI speaking, came up with a better widget than what we are currently using - and that if anyone did, Kovid (et al) would consider it.

Quote:
The documentation has what the documentation needs [...] What you're asking for is more of a "user guide" [...] and there's no reason you [...] couldn't write [...]
You are absolutely correct, I could. If I felt I was sufficiently competent with the software to do the subject justice, or had a unique perspective to convey, I might do so. I've done it before for other software. I might still do so provided the competency and perspective checks are valid.

Quote:
According to the stats page (emphasis added by me):
Quote:
Every calibre installation has a unique ID, this ID remains unchanged by upgrades and even an uninstall/re-install.
Here, I absolutely make an error. I remembered the ID but did not recall that it was kept despite uninstalling. So the numbers cited are correct, reflecting new user installations only, not a mix of new installs & re-installs.

Sorry if I seemed to push your buttons. It wasn't intentional. I was just trying to convey my opinion(s) on the subject(s).
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote