Thread: PRS-600 File Transfer Nightmare!
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2010, 03:42 PM   #1
chameleon
chameleon began at the beginning.

Device: Sony touch 600
Thumbs down File Transfer Nightmare!

Hi guys

Just bought a Sony touch 600 after owning an Elonex 511 for a short while before I took it back faulty.

I have just tried to transfer some of my pdf collection (many tens of gigs) to the reader but have come across many problems.

Firstly the Elonex let you just drag the folders with their sub-folder/file structure intact over to the reader and they were automatically accessible and filed intact in their structure.

With the Sony it seems that first I must import the books into the library with the e reader software, then go through an ever increasing list of hundreds/thousands of books, cross referencing with the original folders in order to reproduce their structure by creating 'collections'.

If this wasn't bad enough, for some reason it renames many of the files arbitrarily and sometimes prefixes them with 'Microsoft Word -' despite them being a pdf file, or one it removed the title and named it 'INTRODUCTION' for example? This happens even if I make the file 'read only'. Another it renamed 'Brochure' to 'Flyer'?

Consequently I have to go through thousands of files looking for the ones I've just imported, noting the ones I can't find due to renaming, then go through thousands of files again trying to figure what they have been renamed to in order to add them to the 'collection'.

Then if/when I find them there doesn't seem to be a way of renaming them to their original and correct title.

And of course this is going to get worse to the point of near impossibility if I add more memory cards. I dread to think of having to go through 32 gigs worth of book files every time to find one pdf to add to a collection. Life's too short!

And swopping or updating files isn't going to be easy either. Rather than just deleting a folder when read I will have to go through the same convoluted process to find all the seperate files rather than just removing the collection, as these are only shortcuts.

All in all I find this a TERRIBLE and ill thought out piece of software design which frankly is spoiling my experience of what apart from this seems a great lttle gadget.

What took 5 minutes for 4gb of transfer on the Elonex has taken me half a day to transfer and categorise 100 mb of pdfs!!!

Anyone any ideas?

Cheers

Last edited by chameleon; 03-14-2010 at 03:49 PM.
chameleon is offline   Reply With Quote