View Single Post
Old 04-23-2012, 09:27 AM   #25
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvReadin View Post
No, not really - other versions of this point out that only 55 people out of 100 can read it. Although I'd question the figures, it has been shown that such images are legible only to good readers; poor readers struggle with them.
I have to disagree with that. My wife was able to read it, and her ability with English is marginal. I'd estimate that she understands less than 40% of spoken English.

Quote:
That argument has been used for years to dumb down the UK education system
In terms of content, does the ability to use a semi-colon correctly really have that much effect on the actual transference of information? How about ending a sentence with a preposition? Starting a sentence with 'but' or 'and.' Yes, I agree that it might be jarring to those who were brought up under a strict disciplinarian teacher who demanded students carry "Elements of Style" with them to class every day, but it certainly doesn't 'dumb down' the content.

While I would always make note a grammar or spelling mistake on student's papers, I never reduced grades because of them, especially at the University levels. To me, that's as bad as forcing a student to put up their hand and ask permission to go to the toilet.

Toilet training, or the academic equivalents, grammar and spelling, should be kept to the primary schools, after which, no one should pay attention to either good or bad usage. Focus should be on content. Spend more time on content learning and less on toilet training and there is less 'dumbing down' in the schools.

In my 'humble' opinion, that is.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote