Thread: Seriousness When is HUMOR in "Bad" taste?
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2009, 10:45 AM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Blue View Post
My quick one-liner knee-jerk reaction to this question (without getting too deep) and my own personal opinion is:

I always find "bathroom" humor in bad taste. I've never found it the least bit funny or amusing (and I'm sure this is unpopular, but I can't stand the Simpsons, for instance.)

But that's just me.
I believe (or feel?) where you're coming from. I respect your opinion because, after all, you're telling us how you feel about something - what you like and what you don't like, even if if you do perceive your thoughts to be unpopular.

I delight in hearing "bathroom humor," but that's just me. For some reason, however, I'm not very good in telling jokes involving that kind of humor.

I first became aware of bathroom humor (strangely enough), when I read "The Dark Light Years," by Brian Aldiss, about a group of aliens who (if I remember correctly) worshipped their feces. The story was scandalous at the time, which was about 1964, during the New Wave occurring in science fiction.

I think it's embarrassing (for me) to talk about one's habits in the bathroom. Writing and thinking about it right now is somewhat embarrassing. I feel that Bathroom Humor may be popular because of the very nature from which the humor originates which, if one thinks about it, is by its very nature a somewhat ridiculous concept.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 04-22-2009 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Clarified the last sentence.