Thread: Softroot vs DRM
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2010, 09:34 PM   #11
Poppa1956
Evangelist
Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Verizon Ellipsis Tablit w/Kindle and Nook apps.
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why is it ok to have links to tools to softroot a nook and not links to tools to remove DRM?

Seems one is as bad as the other as far as gray areas go.
I would say, having noted the remarks of those much more knowledgeable than I, it is at least partly due to the perspective of the company (-ies) holding the copyright/patent in question. No doubt softrooting your device (Nook or otherwise) violates the warranty, so if you make it suitable only for framing, use as a paperweight and instructive moral lessons regarding the evils of fiddling with things you know you should leave very well alone; the manufacturer, distributor, and whomever else has lost nothing.
An eBook publishers' perspective may be that, when you remove the DRM you are doing so for nefarious purposes, possible even freely distributing a product they sell. Others, on the internets, will download what you have sent out, and they, in turn, will distribute them as bit torrents. Pretty soon, you have the eBook equivalent of an offshore oil rig exploding, leaving the well to gush millions of gallons of oil -that could be refined and sold at a tremendous profit- into the Gulf of Mexico causing incalculable havoc to the planet, no to mention the lives and livelihoods of everyone in the world.

I might have exaggerated a little.
Poppa1956 is offline   Reply With Quote