Thread: Softroot vs DRM
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2010, 06:42 PM   #6
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
JSWolf brings up a valid point. I don't know why everyone just accepts on faith that breaking DRM is illegal and jailbreaking or rooting isn't. Neither of these have ever been challenged in court. Many people believe that stripping DRM for personal use would hold up in court and restrictions on it might be found unconstitutional. Furthermore, just last year Apple outright claimed that jailbreaking was against the DMCA. As the law is written, distributing jailbreaking software could also be seen as illegal. So it's not unreasonable to wonder why a forum censors one but not the other. Personally, I don't think either of these would hold up in court. However, the practical stance that I'm sure Mobileread takes is that they don't have the resources to combat a lawsuit and whereas take-down notices for DRM circumvention tools are ubiquitous, it hasn't been as widespread an issue for jailbreaking to rooting tools. But let's not pretend the two are completely different issues.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote