View Single Post
Old 09-09-2007, 09:10 PM   #1
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
John Ringo on why he goes with drm-free ebooks (or: How to use the English Language)

Love him or hate him for his often controversial novels and articles, Mr. Ringo is always stating his positions fearlessly and makes for very interesting reading, whether on sf conventions, politics, war or whatever...

In his latest post related to the Scribd controversy he explains why he chooses to ride the ebook wave.

Quote:

"But the music industry is the model that publishers and many writers are following. 'The Wave is Coming! Build the Seawalls Higher! Create Dykes! Stop the Wave! DRM is Your Friend!'

And as is becoming apparent, the mp3 wave is crushing them.

Ebooks are a wave. I grew up, mostly, in Florida. I learned to ride waves, literally, before my first conscious memory. I also learned that there are three ways to deal with waves:

You can fight it and it will crush you.

You can let it pass and lose all it's benefits.

Or you can try to ride it. It may still crush you, but if you ride it right it will carry you safe to shore. (And it's a hell of a ride.)

I don't want to be passed by. I don't want to be crushed. My only choice is to ride. I may live or die riding, but I will have taken the only viable choice."

Whole post here:

http://johnringo.com/Abyss/Default.asp
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote