View Single Post
Old 01-09-2008, 07:05 PM   #5
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by eBookNerd View Post
http://www.publishersweekly.com/arti....html?nid=3335

Do you think he's correct in predicting that even though Kindle will energize the ebook market.... but -"despite the fast growth, e-books will still make up a tiny share of the market--no more than 2% of sales for most titles--and will contribute only a minimal amount to publishers' bottom lines."

Frankly, I was hoping to see ebooks take off and represent a much larger share of the publishing market!
I think he's quite right. Before ebook sales can take off and become a much larger share of the market, a much larger part of the market must be able to read them.

How do people read ebooks? While most folks who buy paper books have a desktop or laptop PC, I doubt they read ebooks on them. People read ebooks on handheld devices, and must have a handheld device that can do it.

Ebook readers are a tiny niche market at present. There just aren't that many of them out there. And while there are a lot of handheld devices that could be used to read ebooks, like smartphones, more folks who own them have to see that as a use for their device.

Personally, I hope another of his predictions come true: that anything published in paper will see a corresponding ebook edition.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote