View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 11:19 PM   #963
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunner3 View Post
All of these restores seem to be for completely bricked Kindles. Fortunately my Kindle is fine other than the fact I tried some screen saver hack that I shouldn't have.

Is it possible to undo the following hack? I am hoping going back into diag/usb mode via Putty and inputting some command lines will do the truck. Or do I have to completely follow the various PDF guides?

Here are the steps that I have done...

mntroot rw
mkdir /mnt/us/screensaver
mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/base-mmc
mv /mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800 /mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800.old
ln -sfn /mnt/us/screensaver /mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800

Thanks in advance for any help!
If you understand the linux commands that you typed, you will see that you renamed the original 600x800 folder to 600x800.old, and you created a symlink in its place. Just delete the symlink and rename the original folder back to 600x800:
PHP Code:
mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/mmc
cd 
/mnt/mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver
rm 600x800
mv 600x800
.old 600x800
cd 
/
umount /mnt/mmc 
EDIT: You may also delete the screensaver folder off your USB partition if you no longer need it.

EDIT2: I previously simplified and reversed the original "screensavers hack" commands, but now I just modified the commands to NOT make root writable, and now I also unmount the main partition. Because the modifications were done to the mounted partition, there was no need to make the booted diags partition writable. Also, not all kindles have /mnt/base-mmc but they do have /mnt/mmc, so because I support all eink kindle models I prefer to use what they have in common.

Last edited by geekmaster; 01-06-2013 at 11:53 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote