View Single Post
Old 09-28-2005, 03:27 PM   #9
nathanwms
nathanwms began at the beginning.

Device: Sharp Zaurus SL-C760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian
I agree that with a fast enough connection and ubiquitous connectivity, both online and offline storage will probably come into play. Something along the lines of Apple's .Mac accounts.

With such a device and connectivity to a mouse/keyboard/monitor or a "host" computer like IBM's Soul Pad, it would become your primary computing device, and give a whole new meaning to the "Palm Desktop". All of your most important files, applications, and data would be accessible locally on the device or in your own personal "vault" online.
This is exactly where I think he's headed, shifting any and everything that can be shifted from the desktop/laptop to "...your own personal 'vault' online". Now think of the possibilities: 1) ability to back-up device online 2) ability to sync calendar online.

I think the device will have a few gig but I think he will provide a hosted online repository for virtually unlimited storage, for a fee of course. I think the device will be able to download and install software w/o syncing; thus, creating a device that has no dependence on the desktop at all.