View Single Post
Old 11-09-2010, 07:11 AM   #26
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpallooka View Post
In future I'll also attempt not being such a 'Nosy Parker' as 'opinion pieces' are for commentators and not the purpose of this forum. I'll try to restrict my comments to factual matters. It will be hard as I have a lot of opinions.

Just another lonely lurker with nothing worthwhile to contribute ... except my astounding perceptions
Don't go away. Diverse opinions are good, as long as they aren't expressed ad hominem.

For example, it is likely that Starson17's comment (post #22) is a mild criticism of my PHP-Calibre web server work. He didn't say I was a bad person, but instead said (assuming I am not inventing things) that my time could have been more productively used elsewhere. In this case we probably have different ideas of 'productive', but even such a short discussion causes some reflection on the matter.

As for getting things wrong, we all do that. In almost all cases, the ignorance will be shared by *many* people, and the clarification effort helps everyone. Sometimes the ignorance points to how something should be done, resulting in changes to calibre. On the other hand, sometimes one sees the combination of ignorance and hostility (e.g., "how could anyone think that XXYY is acceptable!" or "My way is the only way."), and this is unfortunate.

I suppose that all I am really saying is 'hang around and contribute'. We need people who care.

Last edited by chaley; 11-09-2010 at 09:26 AM. Reason: grammar
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote