View Single Post
Old 08-15-2014, 04:50 PM   #26
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
Edit: Also, I had trouble Copying/Pasting equations out of your Word DOC. The symbols were completely mangled. I saved your DOC file in Word, and exported to HTML, and saw this HORROR as the first equation (the rest are equally as abysmal):

You can see in RED that the pilcrow '¶' was overwritten to display as a partial derivative '∂'. (The rest of the symbols were just as bad).

This horror should be a much closer to what I posted above (I manually recreated this):

If you are still going to be using Word, I would recommend learning how to use Styles to create cleaner documents.

ALSO, I would avoid using whatever you used to insert Symbols. As you can see above, it seems as if Microsoft Word inserted them as a dreaded "Symbols" font (seems to only work in Microsoft Word and IE?). It looks to me like it is overriding the letters "a-z" + "A-Z" with the lower/uppercase Greek symbols. Instead, you would want the PROPER unicode character.

This is also just going to cause tons of headaches for you when trying to move this document ANYWHERE besides Word. (Like me trying to copy/paste info into the forums, or convert to EPUB).
Although Word has some quirks, in this case it is not that bad. If you use insert symbol, it actually does not insert the symbol in the 'Symbol' font, but the unicode value. You can check that by searching for anything in that font. You will not find it.
However, upon export to HTML, it is converted to the Symbol font. That is because Word only supports an old version of HTML and CSS. Back then Unicode was not that well supported yet and using the Symbol font was a much used fallback (although not recommended by W3C). So, only during the export it is actually changed to the Symbol font.
Still, that does not solve the problem though. That is why I made an improvement to my ePUB export in the tools to ensure that the entered symbols remain their Unicode equivalent.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote