View Single Post
Old 04-28-2011, 11:40 AM   #21
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
After 5 years' attempting to sell my books, I've reached a crisis of confidence. My books aren't selling, the marketing I've tried hasn't worked, my books are turning up on pirate and torrent sites, suggesting that they're being noticed... but I'm losing my shirt!

I was finally pushed over the edge on Easter, when I received a Google alert that led to one of my books on a website I've never heard of, offering it for free to paid members.
People who run paid piracy sites are even lower than spammers.

But I really doubt that piracy has anything to do with your low sales numbers. It's more likely to be obscurity and (forgive me) quality.

I bought your package of books at your website back in 2008.

I'm sure I've read the "The Onuissance Cells", but I'm afraid I remember very little about it except, except my irritation at the neologism in the title.

Checking my records, it was my 57th book read in 2010. I read it over a week April. That was the longest time I spent on a book up to that point in the year, which implies that it in no way grabbed me. I only rated it 5/10. I only rated five books of those 57 lower than that. It seems I didn't find much plot in it.

I'm pretty sure I started on Worldfarm One as well at some point before 2010. But I don't think I finished it.

Which is odd, as hard science fiction is my preferred genre, and it looks like your books should be a good match. Some of the plot summaries appeal. But so far the books I've tried, haven't.

Perhaps I ought to give one of them another go. But after two books that obviously didn't grab my attention, it may take a while.

The new releases at Amazon look pretty good, although I'm not fond of the author name branding up the side of the cover. The cover displayed at Amazon for Kindle ebooks can have a big influence on a purchase.

Sorry I don't have any good advice. Selling fiction is probably even harder than writing it.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote