View Single Post
Old 02-09-2013, 05:51 AM   #62
Kretzer
out of depth
Kretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: iPad2, iPhone 5, Kindle3 3G
With reading in the narrow sense - focussing on text itself - there is only so much you can improve. But it does help to get the optimal conditions: Font size, layout, light, weight if the thing you are holding ...
If you get older, you do appreciate being able to simply increase text size and brighten the whole thing - there is a reason why I hardly read paper books at night anymore.

There is a new German study that found elderly people actually read more easily on tablets. Even if they do not feel reading easier subjectively, the study shows less brain effort with more legible text (mostly it's the higher contrast that does it). There is a lengthy article in English explaining the results.

As to the wider reading experience, there is a lot technology can do: Getting new materials, additional informations, annotations, definitions ... I really doappreciate the ability to look up a word with one tap. And yes, I did catch myself trying to this on paper
Kretzer is offline   Reply With Quote