View Single Post
Old 09-09-2008, 09:11 PM   #73
nikkos010
nikkos010 began at the beginning.

Device: ASUS A626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I will agree, though, that the Eink screen is a much nicer experience. But the screen refresh is too slow. If the next gen screen come out with a .01s refresh, I might get one.

I would also agree that there are some situations where an Eink screen is better than LCD. But in most situations it is not.
ya ya, I'm delurking again.

I have to agree with Nate on this. While I like the look of the eink screen, I read so fast that the refresh on the devices I've looked at is hugely distracting. Currently I use a PDA in landscape mode with mobipocket. It displays 1/3rd-1/2 a page, and pressing the page flip button results in an instantaneous refresh.

When I read I'm so engrossed that I'm not actually aware that I'm reading. But reading eink is like a fitful night of sleep - I keep "waking up"

I'm looking forward to organic display tech - thin, flexible, low power, and fast refreshing. So far eink seems to be an "in-between" tech to me. I just don't see it being used outside of niche markets once the technologies Samsung/Sony/Panasonic/etc have spent millions of dollars on in R&D are commercialized.

Doesn't mean I won't buy one someday, but something better may come out beforehand.
nikkos010 is offline   Reply With Quote