View Single Post
Old 02-23-2012, 01:32 PM   #8
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cscat View Post
first non-knc1 poster here!
Can you please explain what this is all about, what is the purpose and use of it (like a very hands-on intro), all I perceive from it that it seems interesting but in all honesty I have close-to-0 clue what it is at all!!! Thanks dude.
Yes, I spend a lot of time, talking to myself in the corner.

You ask a good question - the "what is it good for" is not exactly obvious.
I will continue to post links to worked examples so people can get a feel for what/when/why to use it.

When trying to develop something that works across all models/system-versions -
One of the first things a developer needs to know is if support for that feature was present in the orginal source code used by the vendor.

(Which does not mean it was included in any particular build, but if it isn't there to start with...)

The currently linked to example uses in posts show -

There where two versions of udev (the hotplug notification system used in the builds) used in the system.
Now the developer knows (or can check for) if what they plan to do was supported by both versions.

When working with the display (across models/system-versions) it can become important to know if the same eink driver was used in all the machines.
(It wasn't)
Now the developer knows what to check into to see if whatever they are doing will work with all versions of the driver.

It has a lot of other uses, but like a baby, it is hard to see what it might be good for in the long run.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote