View Single Post
Old 09-29-2010, 06:23 PM   #72
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
I give you full credit for reading the series because the sect you belong to is against it, to see for yourself what the books say. That's a rare attitude anywhere. And I'm pleased you found them worthy.

That said, you can find just about anything in anything if you strain hard enough, and I can't help feeling you are seeing Christian themes more because you really want them to be there than because they truly exist.

I'm curious: if you had read the series, and had not found what you consider to be evidence of Christian underpinnings, what would your opinion have been?
______
Dennis
Well, I didn't really present the textual evidence for my argument in the other thread. The smallest I have it down two is about two long posts worth, and I still haven't decided if I should post it. Anyway, it's understandable that some people are assuming I'm jumping to conclusions.

Actually, I can answer the other question honestly. Prior to the final book, I felt that Harry wasn't really setting the best example as a heroic figure. It seemed to me his character faults (his general anger, his hatred of Malfoy) sometimes outweighed his virtues. But, then again, I could credit Rowling with creating a very realistic young boy! My view of Harry largely changed when he sat in the train with Neville and Luna and wanted to be there, which I think was one of my favorite moments in the whole series (along with Harry discussing Sirius' death with Luna).

I think what makes that a good point of discussion is that Harry shows both sides of humanity, and that's a great catalyst for a discussion. Sadly, we get hung up on the word "witch" for female wizards, and that's all she wrote. No discussion possible. I don't think this is endemic to Christianity in particular, but humanity as a whole. It's easier to view art purely from the surface, knee jerk reaction, rather than put the time and thought into truly exploring it.

-Pie
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote