View Single Post
Old 03-10-2013, 09:29 AM   #35807
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Fantastic find, Stitchawl. Are you going to get it valued once you have worked your magic on it (does that includes fashioning a new handle yourself)?
I never really care for the actual monetary value of things, but rather their intrinsic value. I have a pocket knife that is one of a series, #0008 and if left in its box and never used, would be worth about $5,000 today. But to me, its value was as a 'user,' and so I did.
Now its cash value is less than $200, but that's OK. I have no plans to ever sell it. It is perfection in form and function. To 'me,' THAT is its true value.

Same with this one today. True, it will have history behind it, but if that was what I was after, I never should have cleaned it up. It's like re-finishing an antique sideboard, a Victorian writing desk, or polishing an old coin.

I'm toying with the idea of making the handle myself. I've never made a folding knife before, though I've made dozens of fixed-blade knives, the blade, handle, and sheath. On the other hand, this blade is SOOO bloody incredible, I might just spring for the money to have a good folder maker put it together for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Great find! That is awesome
All my life I've been waiting to stumble onto that WW II military Harley-Davidson stored in some farmer's barn, or the vintage Martin guitar in someone's garage sale (my friend actually DID get himself one of those. Paid $5 for a pre-war OO-series Martin in almost perfect playing condition. A quick trip to the Martin factory restored it to it's pristine glory...

This knife is almost as good a find. I'm satisfied!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote