View Single Post
Old 01-24-2010, 10:00 AM   #3
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by mezme View Post
This was an awesome and quick solution to the metadownload issue!
Thanks for the kind comment. It was really useful to me, so I thought I'd share.

Remember that it will use your source code as long as the environment variable is set. If you upgrade the executables the usual way, the upgrade won't be seen if you don't also update the source code or turn off the environment variable. Of course, it's a handy way to keep an older version around. You can switch it on only when you're going to be working on the metadata, then switch it off.

I considered trying to write a proposed modification to the main program so you could turn on/off the pickup of each piece of metadata without having to muck around in the source code each time. It's certainly possible to do it, but I'm not sure if it would be accepted or even if it's needed by others. (On top of which, I don't currently have the skill to do it correctly.)

Plus, you'd probably end up adding some checkboxes on the fetch screen that you'd have to keep clicking for each book (slowing the process down), or semi-hidden default checkboxes that might generate lots of support headaches if not used correctly. This way works great and if you are adventurous enough to play with the source, you're probably going to be able to avoid most of the problems.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote