View Single Post
Old 08-03-2008, 03:22 PM   #4
marvmax
marvmax began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch 8gb
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
The last I knew, Baen stated that Webscriptions made more money than sales to Canada. I have the complete run of Baen CDs, and tehre are Free Library titles on those that aren't on the web site.
I believe Eric Flint says that in his series of Universe articles. I'm taking his word because Baen seems to be increasing their ePublishing activities. Beside Webscriptions, they now have the Grantville Gazette, and the Universe. I find the Grantvillle Gazette an interesting phenomenon. It seems to have arisen by popular acclaim.

Quote:
They can. The question is the number of copies they sell.

The biggest problem for any author is simply letting folks who might be interested know their books exist. Unless you are a name author with best sellers, the publisher won't be much help: they reserve promotional dollars for established authors with followings, to let the followings know new books by their favorites are out.
Yeah it is. I would think that all publishers should look at Webscriptions and the Free Library as the way to do things.

As I said I found Baen and their e-books because of a free CD that I got from the Library. I hadn't heard of any of the writers, really. Actually I had read some of the March Upcountry Series by John Ringo, but didn't know it was John Ringo, as in I now look forward to anything Ringo writes.

That's true of the Webscriptions in general. I read many writers that I would never read others wise, and (here's the kicker for other publishers) I pay for writers now that I wouldn't otherwise. I don't know how Baen distributes the money they get from Webscriptions but I just pluck down my money every month. I almost always have read 3 or 4 of the titles but there are enough new ones that I go ahead and pay for them and read them. I've even read books about vampires, and I can guarantee that those authors would never get any of my money any other way.
marvmax is offline   Reply With Quote