Thread: Touch Why I Gave Up On 2.3.1
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2012, 06:10 PM   #19
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Are the recommended books or similar to what you are reading even close to what you are interested in? Currently my recommnded list has a couple of Nora Roberts books and a Patricia Wrede book which I at least recognize. The remaining books on my recommendations are for other romance authors plus Charles Dickens and Henry James. The similar to what you are reading shows 4 Susan Mallory, 2 Nora Roberts and 1 Debbie MacComber book -- all are romance novels. This is perhaps understandable since the similar to book is a romance novel -- unfortunately, one I have never read and which has not been on any of the Kobos I've owned.

For someone who reads mostly science fiction and fantasy with some sidelines into humour and mystery, I would love to know just why I get those recommendations.

As you mention, I've clicked on 'not interested' but doesn't seem to help. While the books I click on disappear, the new recommendations are equally useless.
I have bought about 20 books in the last month. 100% Sci Fi. I just opened the desktop application. Most of the recommendations make sense to me. They are for the authors I bought or looked at other books for. There are only two that it is not obvious from the title or cover why they are there. I clicked "Not interested" for one and it was replaced by "Pride and Prejudice". That was replace by a Ben Bova. It's been a whole week since I saw "50 shades of whatever".

The similar to books make complete sense. I am reading "In the Ocean of the Night" by Gregory Benford (I'm actually reading the epub version but originally started with the kepub version). Book 4 of the series is in the list (I already bought book 2 and book 3 doesn't seem to be available as an ebook). The other books are by Benford, Greg Bear, Peter Hamilton, David Brin and some authors I don't recognise. But the covers and titles make me think they fit.

The system is working better than I thought. It is paying more attention to the books I have bought than to marking others as "Not interested". That makes sense as putting down money is a much surer indicator of interests. The other thing this tells me is that Kobo is not looking at other books on my device. In the past, I have mainly been reading epubs from other sources. My reading patterns have been roughly the same, but that didn't affect the recommendations made.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote