View Single Post
Old 08-13-2013, 04:56 PM   #17388
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
I enjoyed The Doomsday Book more than any book I've read in a while. When I finish A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving (which is looong) I'm reading Connie Willis's To Say Nothing of the Dog. I just read Three Men in a Boat (to Say Nothing of the Dog) by Jerome K. Jerome in preparation. It was published in 1889 and reminded me of both Mark Twain and P.G. Wodehouse.
You might want to try Fire Watch before To Say Nothing of the Dog since it predates both Doomsday Book and TSNotD and is set in the same world. I haven't read it, but it won both the Hugo and Nebula for 1982/3 like Doomsday Book did in 1992/3. At least that is where I plan on going next with her works, I haven't found anything saying to read them in published order though, so it may not matter at all.

I read an essay by Jerome K. Jerome last year (it was nominated for a book club but lost to The Princess Bride) and enjoyed it a lot. I will have to try Three Men in a Boat before I get to Connie Willis' TSNotD.

Also, just noticed you are in CdA - I used to live in Post Falls (20 years ago) and miss that area. Spent a lot of time in the Bookworm.

Last edited by Dazrin; 08-13-2013 at 05:01 PM.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote