View Single Post
Old 07-17-2009, 04:02 AM   #4
mtnmedic
Enthusiast
mtnmedic has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iPad 64GB WiFi + 3G, Astak EZ Reader
Yeah, count me as one of the few, the proud...the Sony PRS-700 owners. LOL Got mine as an open box buy at Fry's for $332. I also have an EZReader I got earlier for $239 (after $30 rebate). But so far I'm finding the 700 to be a better reader in some ways. Sure, the screen contrast isn't as good as the EZReader's but it's certainly readable. I doesn't fare well in low-light situations but the built-in lighting helps. I haven't had the chance to check it out in broad daylight but I will tomorrow while out on the deck in my hammock. But so far the horrible screen glare some reviews have complained about hasn't been so for me. I like the feel of it; certainly slimmer and lighter. I love the search function and the "go to page" capability. Haven't figured out the note-taking or highlighting, yet. Page turning with the finger swiping is cool as a second method (especially if I'm holding it in one hand...found that a short thumb swipe works). The auto power off is nice, too. I like the interface. Oh yeah, one big thing I like about it vs. the EZReader: a better grayscale range. The images in my manuals look really nice compared to as shown in the EZReader.

For some reason it doesn't see .lit files but I assume they're not supported (?). Perhaps I'll have to convert.

Is anyone using calibre with the 700? If so I'd like to see what they have to say about it.

Right now my only real issue is figuring out the whole bit with the Sony ebook library software, how to create collections and sort out my material, a lot of which is PDF. The one nice thing about the EZReader is it has folder support. MY SD card contains my materials in a way I've organised them (my medical guides in one folder, computer repair books in another, etc.). When I popped the card into the 700, everything in those folders were just put into one big list and a bunch of the stuff ended up displaying wrong title/author/book referencing.

Any tips or help would be appreciated.
mtnmedic is offline   Reply With Quote